Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 16-22

Sunday, Oct 16-Made Cottage Cheese from this morning's milk.  Now we can have Lasagna for supper!  I also made Greg's favorite cookies...Apies and some more dog treats.

Packed my clothes and such for my trip to Grand Rapids tomorrow for ADGA Convention.  I will be staying overnight and Greg will be doing my chores while I am gone.

Monday and Tuesday-At Convention.  Enjoyed myself.  Sat in on several sessions,  most were on nutrition and the speaker was Steve Hart, from Langston Laboratories.  Not the best presenter, but did have good information.  The other and most interesting session was given by John White, ADGA judge and Linear Appraisal judge, on using Linear Appraisal scores to help with making breeding choices.  Good session and learned alot.  Plenty of pictures to help show what he was speaking about.  Very easy to understand what he was saying.  Hope I can put it into practice and reap some rewards.

I was also able to pick up my semen order from BioGenetics...no shipping that way.  17 straws are now waiting for the right doe and time!

Wednesday, Oct 19-Meals on Wheels and Fiber Gals.  Had strong winds all day.  In the evening we lost power for about four hours.  Cooked dinner on the Coleman camp stove and ate by kerosine lamp.  By TV time the power was back.

Thursday, Oct 20-The day started out good, but fell apart in the afternoon...got sick to my stomach just after coming in from chores!  Spent the rest of the day in a chair under a blanket dozing.  Felt queasy the rest of the day.  I did manage to get sourdough started and then early bed.

Friday, Oct 21-Felt fine.  Dishes, breakfast, chores, some goat teasing, then Greg picked all the peppers and we froze five cookie sheets of chopped and one container of whole ones.  Put the banana peppers in salt to soak before making them into pickled peppers.

After peppers were done, I cut Swiss Chard and canned six pints of it.  All that is left to be canned is the beets which will be made into Pickled beets, my favorite.

Sourdough made and cooling, will bag and lable in morning.

Saturday, Oct 22-This is the last Market of the season for me.  There is one more on the calendar, but that is also the day of Anna Motz's Estate Auction.  Ann was a dear friend who I met while delivering Meals to her.  Sweet wonderful lady who I really do miss visiting with.  I am hoping to get something at the auction that will remind me of her and her wonderful stories.  My hope is to get her wringer washer.  She told me that instead of a diamond engagement ring she asked for a wringer washer!  This one may not be THAT washer, but it is one that she owned and was using right up until the year before she passed away at the age of 94!

Market was almost a bust, only sold two loaves of bread!  Oh well, did have a good visit with my Market friends anyway.

Back at home and spent the afternoon cleaning the greenhouse.  What a good job done!  Not many plants in there this year.  Almost ready to start up the hydroponics unit and see if I can grow something there that we can eat.  Needs to be something that is a cool weather crop, would like to keep it cool in there this year, since I don't have any Poinsettias in there.

Our evening was spent around the campfire.  Nice clear night, temperature was nice.  Heard coyotes way out back.  Greg heard something that he said was "something getting something".  Nice to be out with nature.


End of the season and the pit is getting full!

Onward and Upward!


No comments:

Post a Comment